November 8, 2009

The Church's One Foundation

:::::
The church's one Foundation
Is Jesus Christ her Lord;
She is his new creation
By water and the Word:
From heav'n he came and sought her
To be his holy bride;
With his own blood he bought her,
And for her life he died.
:::::
Though with a scornful wonder
Men see her sore oppressed,
By schisms rent asunder,
By heresies distressed,
Yet saints their watch are keeping,
Their cry goes up, "How long?"
And soon the night of weeping
Shall be the morn of song.
:::::
'Mid toil and tribulation,
And tumult of her war,
She waits the consummation
Of peace for evermore;
Till with the vision glorious
Her longing eyes are blest,
And the great church victorious
Shall be the church at rest.



3 comments:

Allison said...

I LOVE that hymn!
--Allison

Sharon said...

Somehow I found your blog today. I have enjoyed reading it and learning a little about you and your family. The hymn you posted is great- one with great promise!
My husband and I are missionaries. If you want, view our blog at www.alltheendsoftheworld.blogspot.com

Carli said...

I've always loved that song from the moment I first heard it. Beautiful.

-Carli